Awesome grilled asparagus is so easy to make and it’s a great compliment to any grilled meal.
- Asparagus (people generally eat 6-8 stalks per sitting)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Light the grill! Have a “hot side” and a “cool side” so you can manage the cooking a little better
- Grab some foil. Make a boat.
- Remove the bases from the asparagus by snapping them with your hand. Don’t cut with a knife. Seriously, take the asparagus stalk in two hands and snap it. Where it breaks is where the flavor starts.
How to make a foil boat for your asparagus.
- Get about 12″ (1′) of foil.
- Hold it in your cupped hand.
- Place the asparagus in the foil
- Fold the foil around the asparagus.
- Be sure to close either end because this boat is going to take on some water.
- Once you have the asparagus cleaned, put them all in your boat (or make your boat around the cleaned asparagus now). Put a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a teaspoon of butter in the boat. Now add about a tablespoon of water.
- Close the boat lid.
- Place on the grill. 2 minutes, open the boat up. It’ll be hot as hell, so be fucking careful.
- Let the water reduce out of the boat. We want to highlight the real flavors of the butter oil and salts.
- Remove when the asparagus can be pierced with a knife easily.
Optional finishing technique:
- Remove the asparagus from the boat and place directly on the grill (don’t lose the little ones!). Brush the butter and olive oil contents from the boat on the stalks as they blacken on the grill. You’ve already cooked the stalks, so just flavor them here for a minute or two and remove.